In this episode, Clay welcomes Amy Latta (@IAmAmyLatta) to the show to talk health, fitness, self-worth, diets and how to find the balance of all of them. He also issues a CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK centered on finding the right balance instead of just the simplest.
Talking Points & References
- Life in “Apple-ville”
- Amy Latta
- Origin Story
- From a long line of nomads
- Health & Fitness did not come naturally – not athletic
- Changing her Health & Fitness focus
- Very average kid who hated her body but didn’t do anything
- Didn’t get serious about fitness till mid-20’s
- Lost and gained a lot of weight
- Three years ago – having health issues, challenged a doctor on whether it might be diet and not something that needed a prescription
- Did her own research and turned out to be a severe allergy that would have gone undiagnosed without taking control of her own journey
- Food really effects our bodies far beyond the “skinny stuff” that we focus on
- After Dad passed away (too soon)… knew that she wanted to help people
- The idea came from actively coaching people through very specific programs and challenges
- People lost weight, but they didn’t maintain because they always wanted to go back to “normal”
- Tipping point came when her teenage daughter asked, “How is the diet going?”
- Never wanted my children to think I was in a perpetual state of restriction
- When we look in the mirror, we always look at what’s awful
- We treat diet and exercise as a punishment for bad behavior
- Self-worth is looking in the mirror and not seeing how you’re going to punish your body, but how you’re going to cherish it.
- The Balance between Self-Worth and Health
- Finally working through this right now
- I’m no longer driven by this, but it’s a VERY delicate balance
- You do need to make a change, but it has to be the right way
- I don’t want to use your disgust to motivate you, I want to use the love.
- The marriage of self-worth and practical diet and exercise is where we need to focus
- Saying “this is MY life” is so critical
- What is the Health & Fitness world doing right these days?
- Growing the idea that the food that you put in your body (and the quality of it) is critical
- We need to teach our kids how to cook and how to choose good food
- Stress the importance of the exercise that works for you
- Fitness as a status symbol
- The best exercise is the one that works for you
- The only thing that matters is the exercise that gets you up every day
- Messages to teenagers
- Every generation says how much things have changed
- Our children NEVER get a break
- We are now our own media
- The pressure of fitness
- Starts early – grade school
- Very early you’re made to feel that you have unattractive body parts
- What can we change?
- It’s important for adults to be able to look in the mirror and like what they see
- It’s not easy and requires great persistence
- Write down all of the things you DON’T like about you
- Write down all of the things you like
- Go back to the negatives and find a counterpoint
- Look at your negatives and find what’s good about them
- The BEST VERSION of Amy Latta
- Find Amy Latta online
- Origin Story
Quote(s) of the Week
“Self-worth is about looking at your negatives and seeing what is great about them” – Amy Latta
More About Our Guest
Amy Latta is a writer, speaker, coach, personal trainer (the fun kind), and Certified Nutrition Coach (not the food-police kind). Blend this together with brave and silly, and you have someone who helps others live healthy lives – mind, body, and soul. Amy shares her journey so others can discover their self-worth and be inspired to grow. She’s a wife and mom/stepmom to three kids.
Questions & Comments
If you would like to discuss this week’s episode, please leave your comments below. I would love to interact with you!
Please let me know what topics you’d like to cover or guests you’d like to hear from in future episodes of the Podcast.
Like what you hear??? Subscribe, Rate & Review The Remodeling Clay Podcast on iTunes HERE