In this episode, Clay goes one-on-one with Matt Ham to talk about how he hopes to help the world Redefine Rich. Matt shares his amazing passion and heart for stories of life and richness. Clay ends with a challenge to reach outside of your community to add flavor.
Talking Points & References
- The BEST VERSION OF YOU is in community.
- Community doesn’t always push the same direction.
- Matt Ham – “Redefine Rich”
- Origin Story
- Born and raised in Wilmington, NC.
- Life changed at 18 on a mission trip to the Bahamas
- Pursued opportunity in Florida after college where he made bad decisions, but saw hope.
- The initial pursuit of richness
- The idea was always a noble one – to help others and change the world.
- Sage words from Dad.
- Felt the only way to change the world was to be financially rich.
- Caught the “real estate wave” and felt he’d arrived.
- Took a series of bad decisions to realize that richness is so much more complex than that.
- The experience in Florida gave richness context.
- The calling to write and speak about living richly
- It was never a single moment in time, but an on-going story.
- The desire was there, but he worked to quiet the voice.
- Aunt Trish – “You make my life rich”
- Realized he was pursuing his own definition, but took 7 years for the words to radiate.
- Seeks out stories about “what rich means” and it gives him hope.
- The Four RICH Principles
- Recognize you’re broke(n)
- Invest in others
- Choose gratitude
- Humble yourself with confidence
- Humbling yourself with confidence in the noisy world of today
- It’s been the principle that the most people are drawn to – good or bad.
- The behind these principles is to teach, but also, if you’re already living them, define a rich life.
- You have an incredible story
- If your story is gone, the page is missing, but the book is still there.
- If you don’t make it a practice to humble yourself with confidence consistently, humility will have a way of finding you.
- Redefine Rich Podcast
- This isn’t Matt’s message, it’s a story that has been told many times… he’s just putting a new lens on it.
- Having conversations about what it all means to get a deeper understanding.
- Two features – Matt talking about the principles and the Live Richly Spotlight on people who are exemplifying the principles in their own lives.
- Finding meaning in the mundane.
- The BEST VERSION of Matt Ham
- Find Matt Ham and Redefine Rich online
- Origin Story
- Challenge of the Week
- Tell your story of richness to someone outside of your community
Quote(s) of the Week
“You make my life rich.”
“The BEST VERSION OF YOU lives in community… but it’s not a gated community.”
More About Our Guest
Matt Ham is dedicated to guiding others toward rich living. His own experiences have led him to the understanding and freedom of a rich life, and through his RICH Principles he helps folks uncover true richness, identifying real treasure and discovering true joy and contentment.
A successful small-business owner ranking in the top 1% of all agents in his industry, Matt’s proudest title is that of husband and dad. Matt and his wife, Liz, have three sons under the age of four, of whom the younger two are identical twins. As an avid triathlete, Matt trains and competes in races of various distances throughout the year, including the Half Ironman. Matt holds a degree in Communications with minors in Religious Studies and Statistics, from North Carolina State University, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude. Matt and his family make their home in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Questions & Comments
If you would like to discuss this week’s episode, please leave your comments below. I would love to interact with you!
Please let me know what topics you’d like to cover or guests you’d like to hear from in future episodes of the Podcast.
Like what you hear??? Subscribe, Rate & Review The Remodeling Clay Podcast on iTunes HERE